Re: st: 3-way continuous interaction - comparing simple slopes

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 3-way continuous interaction - comparing simple slopes
Date   Wed, 22 May 2013 22:48:40 -0400

Dear Roman,

What keeps you from using the result of testing whether the two slopes
are different and taking account of the actual direction of the
difference?  The usual test of the hypothesis of no difference
allocates half of the "Type I error" to each tail.  Thus, if the
difference is significant at a two-sided .05 level and positive AND
you can justify making a one-sided test (i.e., if the true difference
were in the other direction, it would really be of no consequence),
then that positive difference would be significant at a one-sided .025
level.  And if you wanted a one-sided .05 level, you could start with
a two-sided .10 level.

I generally have less interest in testing hypotheses, especially where
the null hypothesis is zero difference, because one knows that the
hypothesis is false without needing to test it.  I would not believe
that the true difference is zero to arbitrarily many decimal places.
The relevant question is whether the size of the difference departs
significantly from zero.  Thus, you should obtain a confidence
interval for the difference.  The CI will reflect the direction of the
difference, and you can judge significance by whether the CI includes
zero.

In your data on return on assets, that 3-factor interaction certainly
complicates the interpretation.  Where you are combining r(mean) +
r(sd) or r(mean) - r(sd), you should check that the resulting points
are still in the region of "predictor space" covered by the data.

The data on relative patent performance may require a different sort
of analysis, because of the large frequency of zeros.  If you have the
number of patents and the number of employees (and not just the
ratio), you may be able to use a zero-inflated model (e.g.,
zero-inflated Poisson) or a model that separates zero from nonzero.

I hope this discussion helps.

Regards,

David Hoaglin