Re: st: using invnorm uniform to normalize my liquidity measure

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: using invnorm uniform to normalize my liquidity measure
Date   Fri, 17 May 2013 17:15:57 +0100

This is rather difficult to follow, but I can help a bit.

Please note first that minimal name (date) references are deprecated
on Statalist, as you will see if you read the FAQ, as you were asked
to do before posting. Fortunately the references don't seem important
for your problem.

You are using random normal deviates when it seems that you want
something completely different, namely to do something using  the mean
and SD. -mean()- and -sd()- are -egen- functions, so that should be
straightforward.

Also, -egen- only works with calls to -egen- functions, and
-invnormal()- and -uniform()- are not -egen- functions. That's why
your syntax is illegal as well as wrong for what you want to do.

Incidentally, in Stata 12.0 -rnormal()- is by far the best way of
getting random normal deviates. Using -invnorm()- and -uniform()- will
still work, but -rnormal()- has been the dedicated function for some
versions now.

In terms of your problem, it sounds as if you are dealing with numbers
that can be very big or very small, in which case I recommend -double-
variable types.

   bysort permno dm: egen double ret_div_vol=total(abs(ret/vol))
   bysort permno dm: gen double illiq=1e6 * ret_div_vol / validobs

I put some extra simplifications in there at the same time.

You should -update- your copy of Stata, or get a systems person to do that.