Re: st: Re: Problem with combining sibling data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Problem with combining sibling data
Date   Mon, 13 May 2013 10:51:32 +0100

What is "sibling shape"? More generally, what precisely do the data
look like and precisely what code did you try and precisely why did
not that code do what you want? Otherwise this is only marginally
different from "my code doesn't do what I want".

On the face of it,

total number of siblings = number older + number younger

and so forth, so "+" appears to be all the Stata you need here.

generate nsiblings = nyounger + nolder

and variations on the same theme.

On 13 May 2013 10:36, Annabel Mullin <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am keen to try and create a total sibling variable for data that I have that is currently separated out into four vars:
>>> no.of brother-sister in same house older,
>>> no.of brother-sister in same house younger
>>> no.of brother-sister outside house older