RE: st: generate new distinct individual ids by organizational id and year

From   Erik Aadland <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: generate new distinct individual ids by organizational id and year
Date   Fri, 10 May 2013 07:32:46 +0000

Dear Jeph and Statalist.

Thank you so much.
I replaced "max_id" with "ind_id" in the third line of the code to get the max "ind_id" as "max_id" is not a variable name in my dataset:

sum missing_employees, meanonly
local maxmiss=r(max) // get the max # missing
sum ind_id, meanonly
local maxid = r(max) // get the max id in the dataset
local order=ceil(log10(`maxid'+`maxmiss'))+1 // next power of 10, add 1

The code now appears to work wonderfully on my test dataset.
I will do some more testing, but this seems right.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Erik.