Re: st: detonator plot with three grouping variables

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: detonator plot with three grouping variables
Date   Wed, 8 May 2013 23:47:32 -0400

Ronnie,

A good first step would be to omit the bars entirely.  Freeman et al.
(2008) discuss that type of plot under the name "dynamite plunger
plot" in their chapter "How to display data badly."  The bars take up
space to no good purpose.  A more effective plot would show the
estimates with error bars or confidence intervals (and an explanation
of whether the intervals are error bars or confidence intervals).

David Hoaglin

Freeman JV, Walters SJ, Campbell MJ (2008). How to Display Data.  BMJ Books.