Re: st: Mlogit estimated coefficients

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mlogit estimated coefficients
Date   Wed, 8 May 2013 21:50:08 -0400

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Ekim Cem Muyan <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
> I couldn't figure out how STATA stores the
> estimations results from a mlogit regression.

Like other eclass commands, -mlogit- stores results in -e()-. After
fitting a model, type -ereturn list- to see what's available. For
example,

mat li e(b)

returns a vector with the estimated coefficients. You can then
use/rearrange these results to your liking. For example, the following
code creates a 2 x k matrix with coefficients, with k being the number
of predictors in the model (including constants):

*---------------------------------------
// Toy data
clear
sysuse auto
replace rep78 = rep78 - 2 if rep78 > 2

// -mlogit- fit
mlogit rep78 price mpg headroom trunk, b(1)

// Create a 2 x k matrix, where k is the
// number of predictors in the model,
// for an arbitrary number of predictors
qui levelsof `e(depvar)', loc(level)
loc base = e(baseout)
loc rowlab = regexr("`level'","`base'","")
loc np = e(k)
mat b = e(b)

mat b1 = b[1, `=`np'/2+1'..`np']
mat b2 = b[1, `=`np'+1'..`=`np'+`np'/2']
mat bmat = b1\b2
mat rownames bmat = `rowlab'

mat li bmat

This could further be automated, for example to allow for arbitrary
base outcomes and number of outcome categories.

Joerg