RE: st: Instrumental Variables approach using -xt- for three-level growth model

From   David Torres <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Instrumental Variables approach using -xt- for three-level growth model
Date   Mon, 6 May 2013 13:09:30 -0400

Thanks again, Austin.  I do understand that my instrument cannot be correlated with my outcome except via the predictor for which selection bias might be an issue.  Given that I have info on students' home addresses, though, I was hoping to use as instruments factors at the tract or sabans boundary level that might affect the likelihood of choosing but not students' scores.  Distance to a school of choice could be an instrument, I would think.  But so perhaps could population density (if we assume that individual knowledge is highest the greater the number of people by which one is surrounded).  I like Hoxby's choice of streams and rivers, but I anticipate issues given my focus is intra- rather than interdistrict.

At any rate, once I find my instrument I would like to know what Stata command is best for a three-level growth model.

Diego

--

David Diego Torres, PhD
NSF SBE Postdoctoral Research Fellow