RE: st: RE: Re: Reshaping dataset

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Re: Reshaping dataset
Date   Thu, 2 May 2013 10:44:09 -0700

Read the manual entry for merge carefully.
You most probably do NOT want to do a many to many merge (i.e. -merge m:m-).
Really unpredictable things can happen with that kind of merge and that's
probably what's causing your results to differ.
If cuci5d is not unique in one of your two datasets, you'll need to think
very carefully about what the merge should actually look like.  Depending on
what your data looks like and what your desired outcome is, -joinby- might
help.
-Sarah

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Andrea Molinari
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 8:03 PM
To: statalist
Subject: Re: st: RE: Re: Reshaping dataset

Yep, that was the problem with the command. Now that I was able to run the
whole set of commands, I get something quite weird, and I'm not really sure
about what step is causing it...

I get different results for "valrm" as I run and re-run the do-file...

I copy the syntax below, does anyone know what might be hapening?

Cheers!
Andrea

////////////////////////////////
clear

set mem 1g

use "cadenas.dta"

sort cuci5d

save "cadenas.dta", replace

clear

use "datos pry.dta"

sort cuci5d

merge m:m cuci5d using "cadenas.dta"

assert value==. if _merge==2

drop if _merge==2

drop _merge

save "prycadenas.dta", replace

clear

use "usoecon.dta"

sort usoecon

clear

use "prycadenas.dta"

merge m:1 usoecon using "usoecon.dta"

drop if _merge==1
drop if _merge==2

drop _merge

drop hs cuci5d flow usoecon

save "prycadenas.dta", replace

bysort year partner cadena subcadena flores: egen double svalue=sum(value)

bysort year partner cadena subcadena flores: keep if _n==1

drop value

reshape wide svalue, i(year cadena subcadena flores) j(partner)

gen double valmcs=svalue32+svalue76+svalue858

rename svalue0 valwld

gen valrm=valwld-valmcs

////////////////////////////////

On 1 May 2013 21:19, Sarah Edgington <[email protected]> wrote:
> Andrea,
> What syntax did you use?  It sounds like you tried to do a 1:1 merge
> when you needed a 1:m merge.
> If I'm reading your description right, you have 1 observation per SITC
> in your master data and you want that to match to ALL the chains with
> that SITC in your using data.  As long as both those things are true,
> merge 1:m should get you what you need.
> -Sarah

Andrea Molinari, PhD
Investigadora Asistente