st: gradient and the inverse of the information matrix

From   Jon Mu <[email protected]>
To   Listserv STATA <[email protected]>
Subject   st: gradient and the inverse of the information matrix
Date   Wed, 1 May 2013 16:01:15 -0500

Hi Statalisters,

I am trying to check into the (Rao's) score (or commonly known as the Lagrange Multiplier) test for a model that I am working on. I got results from SAS already, and I want to see if those from SAS would square with the one produced from my own Stata codes.

They don't match, and looks like I probably made some mistakes in my Stata codes. For the generalized formula to get the Chi-Square statistic, I need to get the gradient and the inverse of the information matrix. For the inverse of the information matrix, I can grab from e(V) directly without any further calculation.

So I might've made some mistake in the gradient. I've searched through the voluminous Stata pdf documentation using gradient as the key word, and I was not able to find useful information. But I vaguely remember a while back ago when I was also checking into related issues, I read somewhere that the e(gradient) matrix is a gradient with respect to xb, not b, so I suspect that might be the cause. I am wondering if that's the case. If I am right on this, then a follow-up question is how to recover the gradient with respect to b since I feel there might not be a linear transformation that I can use to get it directly. Any input/suggestion would be appreciated.

Jun Xu, PhD
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology
Ball State University