Re: st: limiting instruments in an ivprobit

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: limiting instruments in an ivprobit
Date   Tue, 26 Mar 2013 19:14:02 +0000

This is (emphatically) not my field, so this is more or less Esperanto to me.

Two comments nevertheless:

1. The question on Stack Overflow did receive an answer.

"In general all exogenous variables are always included as
instruments. Usually instruments are picked for variables which are
endogenous, but we can think (it follows from the mathematical
derivation of instrumental variable estimation) that we need to choose
the instruments for all the variables. Instruments for exogenous
variables then are naturally themselves."

I think you should explain why that is wrong or irrelevant, which
could be the only grounds for not mentioning it.

2. The syntax for -ivprobit- makes explicit how to list instrumental variables

 Maximum likelihood estimator

        ivprobit depvar [varlist1] (varlist2 = varlist_iv) [if] [in] [weight]
                 [, mle_options]

    Two-step estimator

        ivprobit depvar [varlist1] (varlist2 = varlist_iv) [if] [in] [weight] ,
                 twostep [tse_options]

The questioner on SO did not use that syntax, which may have been
behind their puzzlement.

(I edited "STATA" to "Stata" below.)

Nick