Re: st: clustered SE smaller than

Subject   Re: st: clustered SE smaller than
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:37:03 -0400

Robert G. LaChausse <[email protected]>:
Cluster-Robust SEs are biased downward, and you need a large number of
clusters to get the asymptotic properties working for you, as
discussed in e.g.
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/stb13_rogers.pdf
http://www.stata.com/meeting/13uk/nichols_crse.pdf
http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/bost10/11.html
http://ideas.repec.org/p/boc/dsug11/02.html

If the clusters were balanced, one might expect 22 to be enough for
asymptotic properties to prevail.
With cluster sizes ranging from 13 to 321, you might need 50 or more.

That said, it is possible that errors are negatively correlated within
site and pretest scores are positively correlated, leading to a
negative impact of correction for clustering on SEs.