Re: st: calculating the whiskers on a boxplot using -twoway-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: calculating the whiskers on a boxplot using -twoway-
Date   Thu, 21 Mar 2013 11:39:36 +0000

Sheena has unearthed an error in my code given in the article. Thanks
and also sorry about that. The problems are centred on p.484, which is
acccessible to all via a .pdf.

Let us focus on the end of the upper whisker; the case of the lower
whisker follows similar logic, but taking a minimum wherever we take a
maximum, and vice versa.

Given interquartile range IQR, the position (not length) of the end of
the upper whisker is that of the largest value not greater than (upper
quartile +1.5 IQR).

My code works correctly if there are no values above the position of
the end of the upper whisker.

Otherwise, it yields (upper quartile + 1.5 IQR) as the position, but
only exceptionally if there are values equal to that will this
position be correct. Commonly that will be too high.

To see what is going on, the article's example starts with

sysuse lifeexp, clear
egen upq = pctile(lexp), by(region) p(75)
egen loq = pctile(lexp), by(region) p(25)
gen iqr = upq - loq

and that holds good. Then we have the problem lines:

egen upper = max(min(lexp, upq + 1.5 * iqr)), by(region)
egen lower = min(max(lexp, loq - 1.5 * iqr)), by(region)

More careful code might start with Sheena's own code, or alternatively by

egen upper2 = max(lexp / (lexp < upq + 1.5 * iqr)), by(region)
egen lower2 = min(lexp / (lexp > loq - 1.5 * iqr)), by(region)

That division / may look odd if you have not seen it before. But it is
very like the sort of conditional statement often seen

max(argument | condition)
min(argument | condition)

the connection being given in this way. Divide an argument by a
logical expression that evaluates to 1 or 0. The argument is unchanged
on division by 1 but evaluates as missing on division by 0. In any
context where Stata ignores missings, that is what is wanted.

Furthermore: this code avoids the problem Sheena encountered, that
using -if- leaves missings whenever the -if- condition is not
satisfied.

The "divide by zero" trick appears not to be widely known. There is
some publicity within

SJ-11-2 dm0055  . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Speaking Stata: Compared with ...
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        Q2/11   SJ 11(2):305--314                                (no commands)
        reviews techniques for relating values to values in other
        observations

Back to the box plots: Now see what the difference is in our example:

. tabdisp region, c(upper upper2 lower lower2)

      Region |      upper      upper2       lower      lower2
-------------+-----------------------------------------------
Eur & C.Asia |         79          79          65          65
        N.A. |         79          79        58.5          64
        S.A. |         75          75          63          67

The results can be the same, but need not be!

Checking Stata's own box plot

. graph box lexp , over(region)  yli(75 79 64 65 67)

shows consistency with the revised rule.

Ironically, or otherwise, the same mistake appeared in -stripplot-
(SSC) before it was corrected.

The hubris here (all mine) was being too clever by half, i.e.
combining a Stata function call with an -egen- function call in one
line and not checking hard enough that the logic was sound in all
cases.

I'll publish a correction in a future issue of the Stata Journal.

The code in -stripplot- (SSC) remains a valid alternative. With a bit
of work, you can get data display PLUS boxes PLUS means out of
-stripplot-, although whether the result is a mess is part judgement,
part a question about your data.

Nick