Re: st: Problem with estout and rename

From   Cory Smith <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with estout and rename
Date   Wed, 20 Mar 2013 11:37:51 -0400

Hi Rebecca,

Thanks for your concern about the clarity of the piece. In general, I
think the merge aspect of the rename() function comes in handy when
there are different ways to measure or proxy for the same variable. To
give a crude simplification in my case, I am looking at how disease in
location A predicts disease in location B. But, since it takes time
for disease to spread across space, maybe I should look at the disease
in A from one month ago (i.e. a lag).

In a big table with 8+ regressions, it will be easier for a reader
just to scan one line to determine how many models show such a
relationship (rather than having to bounce across two lines depending
on whether there is a lag or not). Other lines in the table and the
text in the paper will make clear which measures are used in a given
regression.

Thanks again for all the help,
Cory