Re: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Interpretation of Two-sample t test with equal variances?
Date   Wed, 20 Mar 2013 14:33:39 +0000

In much the same spirit as earlier suggestions:

The mean ages given were 28.8 and 29.4 (presumably years) for the two
classes. That sounds like a difference without clinical significance,
although I am no clinician, not a woman, and not even significant.

However, it is also likely that the means are hiding important details
in the distributions. For example, I would expect skewed distributions
for mothers' ages -- and the skewness I might guess to differ between
the two modes of delivery. General knowledge underlines a range from
<<20 to >50 years.

Although I have much faith that Student's t test works well even if
you lie to it, skewness sounds like an area for investigation. My gut
instinct is that turning the problem round to make it a logit
regression on age makes much more sense. I would use a fractional
polynomial or cubic spline in age and always plot some smooth summary
of one or other fraction (e.g. fraction C or fraction V) versus age.

Nick