st: generated file with append command has more than allowable number of variables

From   Tom Lutalo <[email protected]>
Subject   st: generated file with append command has more than allowable number of variables
Date   Mon, 11 Mar 2013 08:35:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I have two files, one (A) with 2045 variables while another (B) has 1055 variables. I wanted to append to A using B.
However since there are some variables in B which are not in A,  I end
up with more than the allowable 2048 variables for my version of STATA
(STATA 12)

I have to use the option "keep" and list what I want from B. This for sure is too long a command.

 only wanted to append to those variables already in A from B and maybe
add two new variables, thus remaining with either 2045 or with 2047 variables.

I am
using data from a cohort of individuals we have been following for over
10 years with many variables standing for questions asked at each survey round (64 page
questionnaire).

Is there a command I can use to only append to
those variables that are already in my working file (A) and maybe also "keep"
only two more variables?

Thank you

Tom