Re: st: GLLAMM for 2-level latent factors not converging

From   "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: GLLAMM for 2-level latent factors not converging
Date   Mon, 11 Mar 2013 10:22:30 -0400

This sounds like either an identification problem or a Heywood case to
me. Do you have reason to suppose the model is identified? (i.e., try
it with simulated data, or you know otherwise). You may have empirical
unidentification due to needing a correlation to be nonzero but having
a value too close to 0, too. A Heywood case may be in the offing, too,
which is created by a seriously misspecified model. Often the best
diagnosis for this is to look at the observed correlations. If one of
them is extraordinarily high compared to the rest that is often a
sign.

Another trick is to really constrain the model a lot by fixing
to see where it blows up.
What is the nature of the indicators? Are they binary?

In order I'd check:

Identification. I suspect you may not have an identified model.
Empirical underidentification
Heywood case

--
JVVerkuilen, PhD
[email protected]

"It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Do not concentrate on
the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." --Bruce Lee,
Enter the Dragon (1973)