st: Re: statalist-digest V4 #4814

From   Dirk Enzmann <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: statalist-digest V4 #4814
Date   Fri, 08 Mar 2013 00:12:56 +0100

David,

In principle, I agree.

Which reminds me to the old Radio Yerevan jokes, which always started with "Is it true that ...?" to which the answer was "In principle yes, but ..."

My "but" in this case would be that examining overlap to examine significance is possible if you do not apply the too simplistic "no overlap" rule. This I tried to stress because I think that it is very useful to add confidence intervals to graphic displays of mean differences (also to avoid a substantive interpretation of non significant differences).

To which, of course, the without any doubt correct reaction will be "But if exact p values are desired they should also be presented."

And: You are right that readers could misinterpret my quote from Schenker and Genlemen (2001). Thanks for clarifying.

Dirk