RE: st: ln transform and box cox

From   Thomas Norris <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: ln transform and box cox
Date   Wed, 6 Mar 2013 17:10:37 +0000

Rebecca,
Thanks for your input and for the slides.

It is natural to observe increased variation between (human) fetuses as gestation progresses and this is why I logged the weight variable (and to help the models converge). The fracpoly command returned powers of 1 and 2 when weight was on the log scale. My analysis thus far has been to try and obtain the best fitting age terms for the data and then I was going to add explanatory variables to the model (ethnicity, sex, maternal height & weight).

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Rebecca Pope
Sent: 06 March 2013 16:52
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: ln transform and box cox

Left unaddressed thus far is the issue of _why_ you are seeing increased variance as age increases. Before going any further, one thing I'd be really curious about is whether there was some underlying cause (e.g. gender differences, age of the mother) for divergent weights that you should include in your model but currently are not.
You don't say what kind of fetuses you are weighing, but I'm guessing humans because of your affiliation. After birth, one of closest correlates will be length of the infant, height of the child, and so forth. Measurement of fetuses is way outside my area of expertise, so I don't know if it is possible to gather additional information, but I hope the general point comes through.

I am also not convinced that -fracpoly- is really needed. From a biological standpoint, just thinking about the relationship between weight and age, it doesn't make much sense to choose a function for age other than age+age^2 or ln(age). I think age+age^2 is probably more common.

Take a look at these slides. There are some good books out there for longitudinal modeling, but happily the slides cover many of the issues and have the benefit of being free. They also happen to address growth curve modeling with -xtmixed-.

http://www.stata.com/meeting/fnasug08/gutierrez.pdf

I concur with Maarten's recommendation to see Fitzmaurice, Laird, and Ware. It is an excellent text & you if don't have a copy you should get one.

Regards,
Rebecca