st: Re: st: Re: st: Σχετ: st: calculating percentage changes in an unbalanced panel data set

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: st: Re: st: Σχετ: st: calculating percentage changes in an unbalanced panel data set
Date   Wed, 6 Mar 2013 11:43:14 +0000

A more general point is embedded here which arises again and again
with date variables.

It is vital to realise that descriptions of the form

my dates are of format dd/mm/yyyy

do not distinguish between string variables with values such as
"25/12/2012" and numeric date variables with -format- (Stata's sense)
%tdd/n/Cy

That is,

1. The word "format" is overloaded.

2. The needed information is about _types_.

The output of -describe- for the variable concerned is informative.
Word descriptions using your own terminology are often ambiguous.