Re: st: Problem with wildcards

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Problem with wildcards
Date   Tue, 5 Mar 2013 10:22:33 +0000

I don't think that Dimitriy's explanation is quite correct. It's easy
to agree that wildcard syntax doesn't work here, but there is a small
issue of precisely why not.

My way of thinking about it is that Stata looks at what you type from
left to right so that once Stata sees

if

it expects an expression to follow. An expression can't contain a
wildcard as far as Stata is concerned, so you are thrown out. An
expression -- in this context -- has to boil down to something that
evaluates to true or false (more generally nonzero or zero) for each
observation and that is not the case here. It's not that wildcards are
expanded to something that's wrong; I don't think they are expanded at
all. .

Another way of thinking about it is that wildcards are allowed where
general varlists are allowed. In essence if varlists are allowed
anywhere, that is explicit; if it is not explicit it should be assumed
to be forbidden. That's not deliberately gnomic or cryptic; it is my
best attempt to explain the syntax as I understand it.

Hence this is, as always, open to correction by anyone who's seen
inside the proprietary code.

Nick