st: RE: Linking a patient file with an event file

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Linking a patient file with an event file
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2013 10:57:05 -0800

Lisa,
Unless there's something I'm misunderstanding about your file structure you
should be able to just merge the two files as is with a m:1 (many to one)
merge.
This won't work if you have multiple lines of data per person in your
patient file, but nothing you've said suggests that's true.
I think you ought to be able to do something along the lines of:
use eventfile
merge m:1 patientid using patientfile

You'll probably then want to drop any of the records from the using file
only (i.e. those for patients that do not have emergency room visits).

Unless you have some compelling reason to want your event file in long
format (and it doesn't sound like you do) then you should just merge the
data in its current form.

-Sarah