RE: st: Comparing regression coefficients

From   "Mahometa, Michael J" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Comparing regression coefficients
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2013 14:31:58 +0000

Hi all,

First - thanks for the responses so far.

Let me give a little more background.
I'm using the same subjects for both models. The dependent is a behavioral activation score (this stays the same in both models). I've also got some demographics in the model (again, these stay the same). My variable of interest is a genetic score:
In the first model, there are three indicators that go into the genetic score - in the second model there are 7 indicators that go into the genetic score (four new, and three that carry over).

The genetic score cannot be broken down into its component parts - otherwise, I would simply have a nested model and run a sequential regression.

My basic question is: Which genetic score (the 3 or the 7 indicator) does a better job of predicting behavioral activation. In this case "better" can be anything. I'd love to be able to say there is a significant increase in R2 (like I can for nested models), but I honestly don't know how to test that. I've looked at -suest- with a following -test- command but I don't know if that's appropriate (see completely made up code below):

Regress beh cov1 cov2 cov3 gs3
Est store m1
Regress beh cov1 cov2 cov3 gs7
Est store m2

Suest m1 m2
Test ([m1_mean]_b[g3] = [m2_mean]_b[g7])

Does that seem even remotely appropriate? I *think* I'm asking for a test between the two coefficients - but I honestly don't know (nor can I find) what the test is actually comparing (or how the comparison is made) so I can justify it.

Thanks,
Michael