Re: st: Purchasing Stata version update

From   Bülent Köksal <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Purchasing Stata version update
Date   Thu, 28 Feb 2013 11:55:01 +0200

Exactly. Since there is a history of upgrade prices (and inflation I
guess), I think it should be fairly straightforward to be able to
determine and announce the price of the upgrade for next version.

bülent

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:

> Agreed, but this doesn't seem to be what Bülent wants. He wants to pay
> in advance for the next version too, or rather to get somebody else to
> do that for him -- at a discount.
>
> Nick
>
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM, Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM, Bülent Köksal wrote:
> >> When purchasing Stata, wouldn't it be nice to be able to purchase a
> >> version update also? Some software developers make this possible. So
> >> for example when I am buying Stata12, I will also have a chance to buy
> >> Stata13 upgrade at a discounted price.
> >
> > This is already the practice at StataCorp. If you bought Stata 11, you
> > could upgrade to Stata 12 when it became available and this was
> > cheaper than buying Stata 12. Morover, if you bought Stata 10, you
> > could upgrade to Stata 11 when it became available, and than upgrade
> > to Stata 12 when it became available.
> >
> > I would be surprised if this will change for Stata 13, but I have no
> > inside knowledge other than observing past patterns.
> >
> > -- Maarten
> >
> > ---------------------------------
> > Maarten L. Buis
> > WZB