Re: st: reliability with -icc- and -estat icc-

From   Rebecca Pope <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: reliability with -icc- and -estat icc-
Date   Tue, 26 Feb 2013 11:54:36 -0600

Lenny,
I was just addressing your syntax error, not your underlying data
issues. Why would you expect a ratio to increase when you've made the
numerator 0? If you are getting an ICC close to 0, you should think
about what that is telling you about your data.

If you look at e.g. judges.dta (example for -icc-), you'll see that
the results for the ICC is the same regardless of the method that you
use.

webuse judges
icc rating target judge, mixed
xtmixed rating i.judge || _all: R.target, reml var
nlcom exp(_b[lns1_1_1:_cons])^2/(exp(_b[lnsig_e:_cons])^2+exp(_b[lns1_1_1:_cons])^2)

The two ICCs are nearly equal (to 6 decimal places). Using -xtmixed-
will never give you a negative value though.

An aside: "I'm using the ranks (within an individual) instead of the
actual scores."

If you are using rankings (1-11 presumably) within individual rather
than actual scores it isn't clear to me how rater 4 could be "off the
charts" regardless of actual scores assigned. By converting scores to
rankings, you've wiped out the correlation of scores within rater. You
seem to be interested instead in how e.g. app 1 is rated by all 4
raters (correlation within app). If raters 1, 2, 3 all give it a score
of 1 (their preferred app) & rater 4 gives it a 6, you don't want to
drop that info. That is what you are analyzing.

Regards,
Rebecca