Re: st: Multinomial logit

From   Klaus Pforr <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Multinomial logit
Date   Mon, 25 Feb 2013 22:04:41 +0100

<>
dear Andrei,

I enjoy your strategy to first blame the method rather the theory behind your statistical model very much, but I also want to try to give you a helpful answer. At first I want to ask about your data structure to clear things up. You seem to have panel data:

(read the following in fixed width format):

id | t | employment status| temp(t) | temp(t-1) |
1 | 1 | 1=temp | 1 | . |
1| 2 | 2=self | 0 | 1 |
1 | 3 | 3=unempl | 0 | 0 |
1 | 4 | 4=perm empl | 0 | 0 |

You would have variables like
ID, T, EMPL_T0(employment status), TEMP_T0, TEMP_Tm1, SELF_T0, SELF_Tm1, UNEMP_T0, UNEMP_Tm1, PERM_T0, PERM_Tm1.

You seem to want to analyze something like this
mlogit EMPL_T0 SELF_Tm1 UNEMP_Tm1 PERM_Tm1.

Considering the substantive contant of your variables, you might want to think about using survival analysis models. You basically are interested in the transition rates from temp. employment into other states. The different outcome are competing risks. You could include individual heterogeneity by using frailty models.

best wishes

Klaus