Re: st: positive interaction - negative covariance

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: positive interaction - negative covariance
Date   Fri, 22 Feb 2013 19:36:18 -0500

Hi, Andrea.

In your initial model, b3 is the coefficient of the interaction term.
Thus, testing the significance of b3 (its difference from 0) directly
addresses the interaction.  It is not necessary, and not at all
appropriate, to compare the confidence interval for b1 and the
confidence interval for b1+b3.  (You did not mention the book that you
read, or the specific comparison that its authors made.  If their
comparison is literally the same as your comparison between the
confidence interval for b1 and the confidence interval for b1+b3, they
are making a beginner's mistake.)

I don't understand why the functions that you plotted are "really
jagged."  Both functions are straight lines.

David Hoaglin