Re: st: How to find the best transformation for each variable in 120 periods

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to find the best transformation for each variable in 120 periods
Date   Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:55:03 +0000

Closer to home in a couple of senses are cube roots:

http://www.stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0223

Odd integer roots are equally well defined for arguments of any sign,
although you have to go in Stata (e.g.)

sign(x) * (abs(x))^(1/3)

I've been working with glacier advance and retreat rates. Occasionally
glaciers advance a lot or retreat a lot but most values are much
closer to zero, so cube roots are a non-standard but useful way to
plot them. Haven't tried regressions, as that is not the nature of the
problem.

Nick