Re: st: Splines

From   Marc Peters <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Splines
Date   Wed, 20 Feb 2013 20:16:24 -0600

Dear Nick,

Thank you for your prompt answer. I am very sorry for being imprecise.

The reference I am talking about is Beck, Nathaniel; Jonathan N. Katz
and Richard Tucker. 1998. "Taking Time Seriously: Time-Series
Cross-Section Analysis with a Binary Dependent Variable." American
Journal of Political Science, 42(4) 1260-1288.

BTSCS is the word they use for Time-Series Cross-Section Analysis with
a Binary Dependent Variable. In their article they replicate a study
of militarized conflict, where a country dyad do or do not have a
conflict in a given year. As a conflict can persist for a number of
consecutive years, the data structure is quite similar to mine. Your
point about lowess is well taken, but if I understand you correctly
you would not recommend using splines for any analyses with repeated
events? Would you recommend another strategy for dealing with temporal
dependence. As I have understood it, a lagged dependent variable is
insufficient.

Once again, thank you for your help

Marc