Re: st: asclogit not converging

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: asclogit not converging
Date   Tue, 19 Feb 2013 13:35:43 +0000

This kind of question arises frequently, and for understandable
reasons. But it is usually really hard to say anything that is useful
and not banal.

This is not a help line, but a discussion list, so for us to be able
to help you have to have a problem that can be discussed.

At least some of us might feel that there needs to be a generic FAQ.

1. We don't know your research problem and are not well placed to
advise on better models matching your project aims and constraints.

2. We can't see your data.

3. If a model fit doesn't converge, Stata is quite possibly telling
you that the model is not a good idea. You may need a different idea,
not another version of the same idea.

4. (Personal opinion) If a model didn't converge, results from early
iterations are at best dubious and at worst useless. As you can't tell
which, go for useless.

Specifically, in this case, how did you "normalise" a count varying
between 1 and 40? (Standardisation in the sense of any linear
re-expression I would expect to be cosmetic here.)

My only concrete guess here is that you have one or more outliers in
your extra variable -- and that even under transformation they remain
outliers. That's often highly problematic. Also, some crazy
transformations that people try often make things worse not better.

Nick