Re: re: st: Package -r2c- now available in SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: re: st: Package -r2c- now available in SSC
Date   Tue, 5 Feb 2013 18:46:44 +0000

There is generic discussion at

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  User-written programs and Stata version
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        7/11    I have a certain version of Stata and have come
                across a user-written program that is apparently
                written for a later version of Stata. What are
                my options?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/programming/
                user-written-programs-and-stata-version/

In a nutshell, the question is whether -r2c- really needs 12.1 or was
just developed under 12.1. You could live dangerously and clone the
program with a different -version- statement, but at your own risk. I
make no recommendations except suggesting that you read the FAQ above
if interested.

I note in passing that -r2c- evidently feels free to use the variable names

mu mumean wt _est_full counts alpha

so that it will -drop- any previous instances and then overwrite them
with new ones. This is not documented so far as I can see. Correct me
if I am wrong, such practices are widely regarded as dangerous Stata
programming style. Some of these names look highly likely to appeal to
people fitting count models.

Nick