Re: st: sign test output

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sign test output
Date   Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:22:50 +0000

I see no irrationality here.

Different tests answer different questions, but it can still be
interesting and useful to check if they agree. If a t test and a
Mann-Whitney-Wilcoxon test give similar results, then we have
indications that the level of a variable is similar (different) in two
situations, and that's so whether you summarise level by mean or by
median and whether you make stronger assumptions or weaker assumptions
about the generating process. As in a court of law, if two different
witnesses agree, that is better than having just one witness.

I mention Mann-W-W here because I am guessing that it is likely to be
more useful to you than a sign test, using which is typically a
gesture of minimal confidence in the quality of the data.

It's a long, hard road, but experience teaches you to "sit loose" to
these tests and never to treat them as oracles transmitting truths.
There would be precisely one correct test if and only if the
statistical question corresponded exactly with the research question
and the researcher had total confidence that the associated
assumptions corresponded exactly with what's happened to generate the
real data, but I've never met that so far. Literature that implies
otherwise is either naive or disingenuous, even though there is plenty
of it.

Nick