Re: st: How to identify multiple substrings within a string

From   Ryan Kessler <ryan.kessler.stata@gmail.com>
To   statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject   Re: st: How to identify multiple substrings within a string
Date   Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:47:37 -0500

input str50 string
"diarrhoea"
"nil diarrhoea"
"no vomiting/diarrhoea"
"no text text text text vomiting/diarrhoea"
"denies diarrhoea/vomiting"
end

gen nodi = (regexm(lower(string), "(nil |no |denies )(.*)(diarrhoea)")
& length(regexs(2)) <= 10)
tab nodi

Change the 10 as you see fit.

Ryan