Re: st: SEM becomes unidentified when introducing single item control variables

From   Johannes Kotte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], John Antonakis <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SEM becomes unidentified when introducing single item control variables
Date   Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:11:26 +0100

Hi John,

magnificent, this helps a lot! I already tried setting the constraint @1 and to use the reliability-option but never used the two together.

However, two questions remain:

(i) Previous answers said that I could simply include the observed variables instead of using latent covariates. Which approach would be more appropriate? (any literature on that?)

(ii) Lets's assume that "(x16 <- CV1@1)" defines CV1 as the latent variable for gender (x16). Why would I set the reliability to anything below 1.0, if x16 is perfectly reliable (which is a reasonable assumption, I guess)?

Best
Johannes

For those who are interested in this thread, my model now looks like the following:

sem (y1 y2 y3 y4 <- PRAXREL) ///
(x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 x7 <- BKA) ///
(x8 x9 x10 x11 <- KVSENIOR) ///
(x12 x13 x14 x15 <- KVL) ///
(x16 <- CV1@1) ///
(x17 <- CV2@1) ///
(x18 <- CV3@1) ///
(x19 <- CV4@1) ///
(BKA PRAXREL <- KVSENIOR KVL CV1 CV2 CV3 CV4) ///
(PRAXREL <- BKA) ///
, standardized method(mlmv) reliability (x16 0.8 x17 0.8 x18 0.8 x19 0.8)

Zitat von John Antonakis <[email protected]>:

Hi:

The model is undefined. You need to set constraints linking the single indicator (e.g,. x1) of the latent (X), as follows:

sem (y <- X) (X ->x1@1), reliability(x1 .80)

Where reliability < 1 > 0, is your theoretical constraint of how much true variance x1 captures.

See "help sem reliability"

If course, if you set x1 = 1 you are assuming that x1 is perfect indicator of X.

HTH,
J.

Prof. John Antonakis
Faculty of Business and Economics