Re: st: SEM becomes unidentified when introducing single item control variables

From   Johannes Kotte <[email protected]>
To   [email protected], "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: SEM becomes unidentified when introducing single item control variables
Date   Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:49:39 +0100

Thanks for your reply!

I looked at the model identification after letting sem iterate for a few times. The df are above 60, so I always thought that identification is no issue.

Now this might sound stupid, but I always thought that "(x16 <- CV1) ... (x19 <- CV4)" IS my measurement model for the control variables. However, you are right that CV1-CV4 are unidentified if I run the measurement models alone. As they are single-item variables like gender, age, etc., I (obviously wrongly) presumed that they cannot be unidentified.

Nevertheless, they don't have to be latent (I guess), even though I have already seen models with latent single-item variables. So, if I altered model 2 as follows (with x16 x17 x18 x19 being the controls), would that be correct?

sem 	(y1 y2 y3 y4 		<- PRAXREL) 	///
	(x1 x2 x3 x4 x5 x6 x7 	<- BKA) 		///
	(x8 x9 x10 x11 		<- KVSENIOR)	///
	(x12 x13 x14 x15	<- KVL)		///
	(BKA PRAXREL 	<- KVSENIOR KVL x16 x17 x18 x19) ///
	(PRAXREL		<- BKA) 		///
	, standardized method(mlmv)

I tried the above sem and it works. However, the estat mindices command results in missing values only, even for the latent constructs

Again, thanks a lot!
Johannes

Zitat von "JVerkuilen (Gmail)" <[email protected]>:

The standard errors being crazy is a sign that the model is not
identified. I'd suspect it's because the latent variables for these
controls aren't identified, and given that it doesn't sound like you
have a measurement model for them I'm not sure how they could be. Why
are they latent anyway?