RE: st: Moderation effect by splitting the sample

From   "David Radwin" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Moderation effect by splitting the sample
Date   Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:09:37 -0800 (PST)

Rebecca,

Sometimes you want to present a result in a simpler or less technical way,
perhaps to a non-expert audience. It is often easier and more parsimonious
to compare two groups, whether verbally or in a table or graph. The cost
is some loss in power. But it may be possible to present the continuous
relationship, too, perhaps in an appendix or some other less prominent
fashion.

For an example of how income (a continuous variable that could be split
into two groups for simplicity) is related to voting in US presidential
elections, please see the work I referred to earlier:

Gelman, A., & Park, D. K. (2009). Splitting a predictor at the upper
quarter or third and the lower quarter or third. The American
Statistician, 63(1), 1-8.
http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/thirds5.pdf

David
--