Re: st: OLS assumptions not met: transformation, gls, or glm as solutions?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: OLS assumptions not met: transformation, gls, or glm as solutions?
Date   Mon, 17 Dec 2012 07:33:13 -0500

Laura,

When you plotted the dependent variable against the predictor
variables, what patterns of curvature (if any) did you see?  You
didn't mention the number of observations.  If it is large, you my
want to use LOWESS to trace smooth curves through those plots.

You can also look for curvature in the plots of the studentized
residuals against the individual predictor variables, and a plot of
those residuals against the predicted values will give you information
on the pattern of heteroskedasticity.

Often, transforming the dependent variable helps to straighten the
relations between the dependent variable and the predictors, AND it
also stabilizes the variability in the dependent variable.  It is
likely that the variability in the number of minutes spent on the
activity increases as the expected number of minutes increases.

Two other transformations to consider are the square root and the
reciprocal.  (If your data were time to complete a task, the
reciprocal would transform slowness into fastness.)  If the logarithm
is the most reasonable choice, it is not necessary to make
interpretation more difficult by using the natural log.  Use logs base
10 instead.  With either base, interpretation is in terms of ratios,
which is often not difficult.

After a suitable transformation you may have fewer outliers (or none).
 You should be cautious in excluding outliers and, especially,
influential observations.

If you included the zeros and used a tobit model, you would still have
to do something about curvature and heteroskedasticity.

David Hoaglin