Re: st: collapsing string variables

From   Kevin McConeghy <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: collapsing string variables
Date   Tue, 11 Dec 2012 11:52:34 -0600

thanks nick, sorry about attachment, glad I typed an example!

Kevin

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> On  principle I am ignoring your attachment. As was mentioned very
> recently, you should not send attachments to Statalist. This is
> explained in the FAQ.
>
> You can call what you want collapsing if you like but it's not among
> the purposes of the -collapse- command, which is to make a dataset of
> summary statistics.
>
> This works for your data here:
>
> reshape long drug , i(id drugid)
> drop if missing(drug)
> drop _j
> reshape wide drug, i(id) j(drugid)
>
> Nick
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Kevin McConeghy
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I saw some people have asked before about how to collapse
>> strings as the command is really for numerics, but I had trouble
>> following the code examples. I attached an excel sheet showing my data
>> setup as is and what I need to do.
>>

>> My understanding is that this can be done using by: statements or some
>> nifty merging.
>>
>> The basic problem is this:
>>
>> id   drugid   drug1   drug 2 drug 3
>> 1       1           A
>> 1       2                     B
>> 2       1           A
>> 2       2                     B
>> 2       3                               C
>>
>> And I want to collapse to: (I dont need drugid after I collapse).
>>
>> id drug drug2 drug 3
>> 1 A        B
>> 2 A        B       C
>>

>> I was trying figure out how this merge example works from a previous
>> post, but I am open to any method:
>>
>> save orig
>> duplicates drop id, force
>> keep id org_name
>> save temp_name, replace
>> use orig, clear
>> collapse (sum) _*, by(id)
>> merge id using temp_name, sort

Kevin McConeghy, PharmD
Infectious Diseases Fellow
University of Illinois College of Pharmacy