Re: st: Using "x" from the ""x" real change made" output of -replace-

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using "x" from the ""x" real change made" output of -replace-
Date   Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:43:03 +0000

I doubt that anyone would want to try to follow exactly what you are
doing here without much more explanation.

But this question reminds me of a discussion several years ago on
Statalist, although I won't try to search for "replace" as a keyword
in the archives.

In principle, it would be very useful if -replace- were a r-class
command so that you could just inspect say r(change) to see if it were
0.

Or so it might seem.

Any way, changing -replace- to a r-class command would wreak havoc
among programs and do files across Stata, to say nothing of other
issues.

And -replace- does not do that now, so speculation helps you not at all.

So, in general I know of no substitute for comparing the absolute or
relative difference of latest with previous.

Depending on what kind of iteration is being used, convergence might
be flagged by something other than exact zero change.

Nick

Maxime Roy asked