Re: st: deriving the BIC when the vce(robust) option is used

From   mario fiorini <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: deriving the BIC when the vce(robust) option is used
Date   Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:16:03 +1100

thanks Maarten.
Still I am not sure I get it 100%. In Stata the BIC is computed
according to BIC = -2*ln(likelihood) + ln(N)*k
and Stata uses
- e(ll) for the likelihood
- e(V) for k
- e(N) for N

Now, e(ll) is the same irrespectively of whether I use vce(robust) or
not. The same is true for e(N). The only difference is e(V).
I still don't understand why Stata reports a different e(V) and most
importantly, a different e(df_m) depending on whether vce(robust) is
used.

In my example I mentioned the problem of having a variable that is
nonzero for only 1 observation in the estimation sample. Note that, if
this does not happen, e(V), e(df_m) and the BIC are the same
irrespectively of whether I use vce(robust) or not. So while I take
your argument, I think it is unclear why the dummy case impacts the
reported e(df_m) and the BIC.
In any case, Stata output should explain what you just mentioned about
the pseudo-likelihood. I don't think that's so obvious.
thanks for taking the time to reply,

Mario