st: RE: Simple and weird error

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Simple and weird error
Date   Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:22:34 -0800

First off, lr`var' is going to evaluate as just lr since `var' hasn't been
defined.  You'll end up with a single variable lr that consists just of the
comparisons from the last variable in r(varlist).

One thing I find useful to do when I don't understand why something isn't
working is to keep some intermediate variables and then actually look at the
data.  Another thing I sometimes find useful when I'm having trouble is to
make sure an operation does what I want it to do using a single variable
before I write out the loop.

So I might try something like:
gen logprice1=log(price1)
gen lrprice1=logprice1-logprice1[_n-1]
list price1 logprice1 lrprice1 in 1/10

That way you can see exactly what's going on and make sure it's what you
want.

It's entirely possible to get all positive results for that operation for a
given variable if your data is sorted on that variable.   Without knowing
anything about your data it's hard to tell if that's the source of your
problem.
This calculation will compare a row of data to the row before it with no
regard for whether that's a sensible comparison or not.  So make sure you've
sorted your data in a way that makes sense first.

Hope that helps.

-Sarah