re: RE: st: propensity score analysis time-varying treatment

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: RE: st: propensity score analysis time-varying treatment
Date   Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:49:50 -0500

Hi Carrie,

I just read through the Leon et al. article* (by the way, you gave an
incomplete reference. See below for the entire reference). The method is not
really longitudinal per-se (in the classical sense), but comparing
non-treated "periods" to treated "periods". I don't find this approach to be
as intuitive as the weighting approaches I gave you references for below. At
the very least, I think you should read through the following article:

Hernán MA, Brumback B, Robins JM. Estimating the causal effect of zidovudine
on CD4 count with a marginal structural model for repeated measures. Stats
in Med 2002;21:1689-1709.

All that said, Leon et al., describe how the propensity score was estimated
in section 2.2.1.

"Because subjects could have multiple exposure intervals, in which during
each interval they either received treatment or did not,
a longitudinal implementation of the propensity score that has been shown to
reduce selection bias [15] was applied here:

[equation]

Propensity scores were calculated using parameter estimates from
mixed-effects logistic regression analyses, which included a random subject
effect to account for the multiple observations within each subject."

Next, they created quintiles of the propensity score and then tabulated the
number of periods exposed and unexposed for each quintile (table 1). Table 2
then shows the outcomes for each of these exposed vs unexposed categories.

In regards to your initial questions:

First, -predict- already gives you the predicted value (probability of
treatment) you need for analysis. There is no need to run -generate-.

Next, while you could run standardized differences here (and for that I
would suggest a user written program -pbalchk- [findit pbalchk], I am not
convinced of its utility here. After all, these are the same individuals in
both groups, so what would you expect to see different?

As for you last question about average treatment effects for the untreated
(or controls), again it points to a weighted model as an alternative to the
approach in the Leon et al. paper. Using weighting, you could estimate the
ATE (also known as IPTW), the ATT or the ATC with the following respective
code:

gen iptw = cond(treatvar, 1/propvar, 1/(1-propvar))
gen att = cond(treatvar, 1, propvar/(1- propvar))
gen atc = cond(treatvar, (1-propvar)/propvar, 1)

I hope this helps

Ariel

* Leon AC, Demirtas H, Li C, Hedeker D. Two propensity score-based
strategies for a three-decade observational study: investigating
psychotropic medications and suicide risk. Statist. Med. 2012, 31 3255?3260