Re: st: programming loops efficiently

From   Alex Armand <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: programming loops efficiently
Date   Wed, 14 Nov 2012 11:21:11 +0100

If you want a variable stating the person with max hours for each observation (row) then this code should produce what you need.

For simplicity I would rename variable Vh01-Vh09 into Vh1-Vh9.
________________________________
* This defines the variable that contains the person with maximum

	gen max = 1
	gen maxhr = Vh1

* Loop control for others

	forvalues x = 2/24 {

		replace max = `x' if Vh`x'  > maxhr
		replace maxhr = Vh`x'  if Vh`x'  > maxhr

	}

Alex