st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #4698

From   Philip Bromiley <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #4698
Date   Mon, 12 Nov 2012 22:01:01 +0000

This response brings up a couple of issues.

Here's the model discussed:
  (1)   y = b1*x1 + b2*(x1)^2 + b3*x2 + constant

First, if you have a linear and a squared term, the parameter on the linear term is not irrelevant.  Obviously, the derivative of y with respect to x depends on b1 and b2.  You can even have a situation where both b1 and b2 are statistically insignificant individually (due to the correlation of x1 and x1^2) but jointly are significant.

However, there is a broader issue that has bothered me - does centering really fix a colinearity problem with a squared variable?

I thought Bresley et al's Regression Diagnostics claimed the improvements were an illusion.  You're getting a different coefficient on x1 when you center it to create x1 before you do the squares because you've changed the origin.  If this were a standard interaction problem (y = b1*x1 + b2*(x2) + b3*x1*x2), b1 is the influence of x1 when x2=0 so adding or subtracting a constant from b2 will naturally change b1.  When I simulate the problem in equation 1, centering x1 before calculating x1*x1 does not change the parameter (or the standard error) for b2, i.e., the parameter on (x1)^2.  However, it does seem to change the estimated value of b1.

Would anyone like to comment on this issue?

Phil

Philip Bromiley
Dean's Professor in Strategic Management
Merage School of Business
University of California, Irvine
Irvine, CA 92697-3125
Bus: (949) 824-6657