Re: st: RE: Drop Duplicates while simultaneously eliminating opposite positive and negative values

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Drop Duplicates while simultaneously eliminating opposite positive and negative values
Date   Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:24:43 +0000

I didn't try to understand all of what you want, but this might help.

Positive and negative prices will sort to opposite ends of blocks of
observations, so you can flag and count

bysort make mpg (price) : gen pos = price == price[_N] & price > 0
egen npos = total(pos), by(make mpg)

bysort make mpg (price) : gen neg = price == price[1] & price < 0
egen nneg = total(neg), by(make mpg)

Nick