Re: st: numerical derivatives and -ml- command

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: numerical derivatives and -ml- command
Date   Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:10:41 +0000

There's another simple comment that doesn't contradict Maarten's line.

Sun Yutao is asking for more documentation on -ml-, even asking for
further details about Stata's hidden proprietary code. My guess is
that this is a case where those who know cannot speak. There is
already a large fraction of [P] and an entire book written by
StataCorp staff about -ml- and although they evidently don't answer
Sun Yutao's questions I doubt that there will be more comment. Even
user-programmers with much experience of using -ml- as an engine tend
to treat it as a black box, partly they because they have no choice
and partly because it's a good strategy any way.

Nick