st: skipping out of and restarting a loop if an error occurs

From   "Ben Hoen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: skipping out of and restarting a loop if an error occurs
Date   Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:40:30 -0400

I am trying to loop through txt files of New York counties (9 of them) and
years (2000-2012) for which some year/county combinations are missing.  For
each file I am using insheet and then, once loaded I perform some additional
commands and the append it with the previously loaded file.

The files are named using their respective year county, e.g, "<county
name>_<year>_parcel.txt"

I have been able to use .capture noisily to skip the unsuccessful .insheet
command, but have not been able to find a way to skip the rest of the loop's
commands and start at the top.  (I thought it might involve the "_rc" stored
value and "continue" ... but was not able to figure out how to do that)

Any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Ben

Here is some sample code:

clear all
tempfile newparcel combinedyr combinedco
g testvar=. //to create some data to initially store
save "`combinedco'"
save "`combinedyr'"

local year "2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011"
local county "allegany clinton erie franklin madison oneida steuben wyoming
yates"

foreach c in `county' {
	foreach y in `year' {
	capture noisily insheet using "B:/nydata/`c'_`y'_parcel.txt", tab
names clear
	save "`newparcel'", replace
	use "`combinedyr'"
	append using `newparcel'
	save "`combinedyr'", replace
	}

duplicates drop, force
save "`combinedyr'",replace
use "`combinedco'"
append using "`combinedyr'"
save "`combinedco'", replace
drop _all
g testvar=. //to create some data to initially store
save "`combinedyr'", replace
}

use "`combinedco'"
drop testvar