st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #4681

From   "David Roodman ([email protected])" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: statalist-digest V4 #4681
Date   Thu, 25 Oct 2012 14:16:42 +0000

Kirk,
	In principle, you can do fixed effects in cmp by putting in group dummies. I think the only limitation would be if you have so many groups that the dummies overload cmp. Also, cmp now does random effects too.
--David

-----Original Message-----
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:15:36 -0400
From: Kirk Geale <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Accounting for panel nature in a mixed process IV model?

Hi,

I have a model with first stage that is an ordered probit, and a
second stage that is a probit. For this I would use a routine like
- -cmp-.  This allows me to use mixed dependant data types as well as
IV's.  But this data also has a panel structure.  I can use something
like the linear -xtivreg-, but then I cannot take into account the
mixed processes that are present.  As far as I am aware, there is no
routine that allows for mixed processes, IV's, and fixed effects.  I
was thinking about centering the relevant variables before using
- -cmp-, but does de-meaning only apply to linear fixed effects?  Any
other thoughts on how I can incorporate the full suite of mixed data
types, fixed effects, and IV's?

As a side note, can one de-mean variables in an ordinary nonparametric
kernel regression to take into account of the panel nature of data?

Thanks,
Kirk Geale

- --
Kirk Geale