Re: st: Plotting Residuals vs Fitted Values using GLM

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Plotting Residuals vs Fitted Values using GLM
Date   Wed, 24 Oct 2012 13:07:32 +0100

-rvfplot2- is a user-written command from the -modeldiag- package
(Stata Journal 4(4), updated SJ 10(1)). Please recall from your
reading of the Statalist FAQ that you are expected to explain that.

The main idea here is that a residual vs fitted plot will show up
gross heteroscedasticity by a marked deviation from approximate
constancy if you average or smooth across the graph. You can do that
by eye or -rvfplot2- offers smoothers to guide the eye.

The examples for -fscale()- are taken from McCullagh and Nelder as
referenced in the help for -rvfplot2. I can't say which scale is
optimal for negative binomial, but what the specific suggestions have
in common is that they pull in the right tail of a right-skewed
distribution. Note that logarithms won't work if your predicted values
are not positive but I think that's unlikely. I think it's a case of
try it and see, so that anything much like a square root or
logarithmic scale might help. It's not a rigorous procedure, however
you do it.

Others may want to comment on the use of negative binomial as a model
here for a response that is a cost variable.

Nick