st: Windows 8

From   [email protected] (James Hassell)
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Windows 8
Date   Mon, 22 Oct 2012 13:46:04 -0500

Windows 8 is scheduled to be released on October 26, 2012. Since that is just
around the corner we thought we should let you know that we have been testing
Stata 12 on Microsoft's latest operating system.  We are pleased to announce
that on both Windows 8 and Windows 8 Pro that Stata works as expected
with no issues.

As with previous versions of Windows you will want to install Adobe
Reader and make it your default PDF viewer to view Stata documentation.
See

   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/pdf-viewer-settings-for-documentation/

for more information on PDF documentation.

Microsoft will also release another version of Windows called Windows RT
for tablets based on 'ARM' rather than Intel x86-64 architecture.
However, Windows RT will not contain a Desktop and will not support
Desktop applications such as Stata.

Navigation in Windows 8 is quite different than all previous versions of
Windows.  For example, the Start menu has been transformed into a Start
screen which is accessible by pressing the Windows key on your keyboard or
by moving the mouse into the lower left corner of the Desktop.  That's
where you will want to start to launch Stata after installing it
on Windows 8 or after upgrading your current computer to Windows 8.

--James
([email protected])