Re: st: most requested *simple* features to help SPSS users transition

From   Fred Wolfe <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: most requested *simple* features to help SPSS users transition
Date   Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:58:24 -0500

Here's a simple way to clear the screen (#1).

*! cls.ado v1.1.0 fw nick cox 29dec2005
* keywords: clear screen
program define cls
   version 9.1
  set more off
  di _n(50)
  set more on
end

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM, JVerkuilen (Gmail)
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Having decided to use Stata instructionally I run into a few little
> things that would be nice and, to my knowledge, don't exist. Slowly
> but surely the students here are switching over as they realize they
> need to learn things like propensity scoring. In all honesty I don't
> care what they do when they grow up, but it greatly simplifies my life
> not to have to deal with SPSS. However there are some little things
> that turn out to be resistance-causing on the part of folks used to
> it:
>
> (1) A simple way to clear the Results window. -clear- nukes the data
> in memory. An easy workaround is simply to hold the return key down
> for a goodly bit of time, but a way to get a clean results window
> would be very nice.
>
> (2) -tabulate- could use a few more options. For instance, it doesn't
> generate cell residuals or adjusted residuals, or compute odds ratios.
> -cc- runs the latter but other people use odds ratios and
> Mantel-Haenszel tests too and won't necessarily think to look under
> Tables for Epidemiologists. ;)
>
> (3) SPSS has one "killer app": Data management in it is quite nice.
> For instance, "automatic recode" is monumentally convenient. This
> takes a variable, automatically creates a new one with sequential
> numbers and labels it with the values of the old variables. The
> variable can be big 'n nasty, like a string with hundreds of unique
> entries. The ability to do things like paste labels and so on is also
> handy, though it may go against the general philosophy of careful
> tracing of all changes to data.

Fred Wolfe
National Data Bank for Rheumatic Diseases
Wichita, Kansas
NDB Office +1 316 263 2125 Ext 0
Research Office +1 316 686 9195